Do You Qualify?
- Are you a pre-K through 9th grade public or private school teacher in the US or Canada?
- Is this your first time applying for a Pets in the Classroom grant this school year?
- Are you aware that if you’ve previously received a store or rebate grant, you are now ONLY eligible for the Sustaining Grant?
If you can answer “yes” to these questions, you are eligible to apply.
If you meet the qualifications, you will receive a grant. Make sure that your desired animal is appropriate for your classroom before you apply, so you don’t get stuck having to switch to a different pet due to allergies or district regulations, which can cause significant delays. Involving students in the decision-making process (having them research and vote on the animal) is beneficial, as well. It’s a great team-building project and helps foster a sense of ownership.
You Must Review and Agree to All Terms Before Applying for a Grant.
Terms & Conditions
When filling out grant application, provide FULL school name and COMPLETE home mailing address.
- You may only submit ONE APPLICATION per school year.
- You may only create ONE ACCOUNT with us. Having multiple accounts may void any grants awarded.
- Teachers who have previously received a Pets in the Classroom store or rebate grant are only eligible to apply for the Sustaining Grant.
- Grants are offered to Pre-Kindergarten through
9th gradeteachers in both public and private schools. (Grades 10-12, Homeschools, Home Daycare Centers and Home-based preschools do not qualify at this time.)
- These grants are intended to support pets or aquariums in the classroom for the purposes of teaching children to bond with and care for their pets responsibly. The welfare of the small animals involved is of paramount importance. These grants must not be used for the purposes of research or experiments of any kind.
- Eligible pets include small mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, and arachnids. Dogs, cats and other larger house pets do not qualify. Other organisms that do not qualify
include:Insects (butterflies, cockroaches, etc.), worm/composting projects, or livestock(such as chickens/egg incubators).
- Grant approval is at the sole discretion of the Pet Care Trust.
- Expired certificates or coupons will not be accepted.
- Grants are not transferable.
How to Apply
The Pet Care Trust, in partnership with our industry retailers and pet product suppliers, offers three different types of Pets in the Classroom grants:
- Store Grants (choose one of 6 participating retailers)
- Rebate grants ($75 for small animal; $125 for fish/reptile/amphibian)
- Sustaining ($50 yearly for maintenance of current pet)
Before deciding which grant to choose from, review our ”Is Your Class Ready for a Pet in the Classroom?” article.
Then, carefully consider
- What TYPE of classroom pet you are seeking?
- WHERE do you like to shop for your pet supplies?
The grants offered by our retail partners are limited to the animal types listed in the grant description. If you are seeking a classroom pet not listed on one of the retailer grants, or if you choose to shop at a different pet store other than one listed, you can choose the Pets in the Classroom Rebate grant. This is a rebate program that allows the teacher to make purchases then submit receipts for reimbursement.