We’re cutting out the red tape
Just fill out the application and tell us about yourself, your students and your classroom. Email it to us, and we’ll get back to you with a decision within 3-4 weeks. If you qualify, we’ll send a certificate or coupons (depending on grant type) directly to you for the support of your classroom pets within 4-6 weeks from the date of approval. That’s all there is to it.
The following conditions apply:
Pets in the Classroom grants are offered to Pre-Kindergarten through Eighth grade classes only in both public and private schools.
These grants are intended to support pets or aquariums in the classroom for the purposes of teaching children to bond with and care for their pets responsibly. The welfare of the small animals involved is of paramount importance. These grants must not be used for the purposes of research or experiments of any kind.
ALL ANIMALS, can potentially carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases contagious to humans. Humans may become ill after handling the pet, its bedding or fecal matter by introducing viral, bacterial, fungal and/or parasitic organisms into their eyes, mouth, skin or an open sore. In most cases these conditions are treatable, but if left untreated, or if they occur in infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly or immune-compromised individuals, the illness could be serious or (though rare) even fatal. Young children are at higher risk because their immune systems are still developing and they are more likely than others to put their fingers or other items into their mouths. Many pets are not suitable for children under 5 years of age.
Follow these guidelines to protect your pet and your family:
* Make sure the seller guarantees good health. This should include a money-back guarantee if you discover within some specified period that your pet has signs of disease.
* Get a complete checkup from an authorized avian or exotic animal veterinarian. Do this right away if you’ve just purchased your pet. Seasoned pet owners should book appointments for yearly checkups.
* Eradicate the germs. Wash your hands after handling your pet or anything within the pet’s habitat. If soap and running water are unavailable, use hand sanitizer.
For more information see the CDC Healthy Pets Healthy People website.
There are grant types, including:
- Rebate Grants in the amounts of $75 (for small animal or birds) or $125 (for reptiles or fish) for purchases at pet store, (excludes: PETCO, PETSMART, PET SUPERMARKET, PETLAND DISCOUNTS, PETLAND, AND PET SUPPLIES PLUS);
- Sustaining Grant in the amount of $50 to maintain an existing classroom pet;
- Petco Grant, which provides coupons for the live animal, pet habitat and supplies purchased at Petco;
- Petsmart Grant, which provides coupons for the live animal, pet habitat and supplies purchased at Petsmart
- Pet Supermarket Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and pet supplies purchased at Pet Supermarket.
- Pet Supplies Plus Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Pet Supplies Plus Stores;
- Petland Discounts Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Petland Discounts Stores, and
- Petland Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Petland Stores.
Money may not be spent for overhead, administration or for any other purpose than to purchase new pets, pet environments or pet food and supplies for existing classroom pets.
Only ONE Pets in the Classroom Grant per teacher, per school year is permitted. Once a teacher has received an initial grant (a store grant or a rebate grant), he or she may apply for a sustaining grant once per school year in subsequent years.
Grant approval is at the sole discretion of the Pet Care Trust. Amounts awarded may vary according to monies and supplies available at the time of the request.
Pets in the Classroom Promotional Materials
Teachers: Do you have questions regarding your Grant Status? Due to the high volume of grant applications, the response may be longer than expected. We appreciate your patience. Email us at email@example.com with questions.