- By pitc
- 0 Comments
For Immediate Release:
Grant Program to Begin Accepting Applications for 2014-2015 School Year on August 1st
Thousands of teachers are expected to receive financial assistance for purchasing and maintaining classroom pets through the popular Pets in the Classroom grant program beginning August 1st.
The Pet Care Trust’s Pets in the Classroom grant program will begin accepting applications for the 2014-2015 school year on August 1st, 2014. Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade teachers in both private and public schools who desire to introduce a pet into the classroom or already have a pet in the classroom are welcome to apply.
The Pets in the Classroom grant program was established by the Pet Care Trust with the knowledge that, while they are a valuable teaching tool, many teachers have very limited resources for the support of classroom animals. Through this educational grants program, teachers can obtain a grant for the purchase of new pets, pet environments, or pet food, and supplies for existing classroom pets. The program, which offers 7 different types of grants, gives each teacher the opportunity to choose which grant is right for him or her through a direct, no-hassle grant application on the Pets in the Classroom website (www.PetsintheClassroom.org). Grant options include:
- Rebate Grant in the amounts of $75 (for small animal or birds) or $125 (for reptiles or fish) for purchases at any pet store;
- Sustaining Grant in the amount of $50 to maintain an existing classroom pet;
- Petco Grant, which provides coupons for the live animal, pet habitat and supplies purchased at Petco;
- Petsmart Grant, which provides coupons for the live animal, pet habitat and supplies purchased at Petsmart;
- Pet Supermarket Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and pet supplies purchased at Pet Supermarket;
- Pet Supplies Plus Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Pet Supplies Plus Stores;
- Petland Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Petland Stores, and
- Petland Discounts Grant, which provides coupons for live animal and supplies purchased at Petland Discounts Stores.
The grant program, which was started in 2010 by the Pet Care Trust, has awarded 40,111 grants to teachers through the 2013-2014 school year, impacting the lives of approximately 1.3 million students. With over 17,000 grants issued in just this past school year, the program is gaining momentum and anticipates another year of helping thousands of teachers provide the benefits of pets to hundreds of thousands of students across the U.S. and Canada.
The Pets in the Classroom grant program benefits students by teaching them responsible, long-term pet care at an early age and providing the psychological and developmental benefits associated with the human-animal bond. Studies have shown that caring for pets has a positive effect on children, improving school attendance and teaching children responsibility, as well as encouraging nurturing and building self esteem. With a goal of introducing 5 million children in 100,000 classrooms to pets and the benefits they provide, the Pet Care Trust is hoping to help teachers impact future generations through its grant program.
For more information, visit www.PetsintheClassroom.org.