2017 Lesson Plan Contest is Going on NOW!
Teachers – Enter to Win 1 of 9 $100 Gift Cards in Our Annual Lesson Plan Contest!
As you use the summer months to prepare for the new school year, we would love for you to share your creativity and your lesson plans incorporating classroom pets with us! We want to equip teachers with ideas and lesson plans that engage students in learning using classroom pets. And who better to provide that information than you, our creative teacher friends!
Now through August 1st, submit your lesson plan ideas to us that center around the educational use of fish, reptiles, and small animals in the classroom. We will accept entries in the form of videos, worksheets, photos, PP presentations, fliers, or any written lesson plans.
Categories are: Small Animals/Birds (One each for PreK-2, 3-5, 6-8), Reptile/Amphibian (One each for PreK-2, 3-5, 6-8), Aquarium/Fish (One each for PreK-2, 3-5, 6-8). Each category will win a $100 gift card! That’s NINE winners!! One submission only per teacher, no duplicates from previous years.
Submit your entry to our Marketing Agency, LuCorp Marketing. Please indicate grade level, name of your school, your name, phone number, and category when submitting. Send your curriculum contest entry to Cindy Woudenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here:
Submit your entry by August 1st. We will be announcing the winners August 21st! We will be sharing select entries with you, so stay tuned for some great lesson plan ideas and materials! Submissions must be original to this year – no repeats or re-entries from previous contest!
Each person who wishes to participate in the program shall submit a lesson plan (hereinafter “Submitter”) relating to the use of Pets in the Classroom. Each lesson plan will be posted on the Pet Care Trust Website and may be viewed by Pet Care Trust, its employees, volunteers and outside third parties. In consideration therefore each Submitter acknowledges, agrees and hereby grants the Pet Care Trust, its employees, volunteers, and each other submitter a non-exclusive license in perpetuity to view, copy, revise, amend or utilize in any manner such lesson plan, suggestion or recommendation. Upon conclusion of the submission period, the Pet Care Trust will award nine $100 gift cards to the submissions selected at the sole discretion of the Trust.
How We Choose Winners:
Winners will be chosen based on quality, creativity, and depth of work submitted. The entries were evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Progressive- having the ability to communicate multiple topics or one topic across different depths of knowledge
- Interactive-having the students or parents actively seek out and record their knowledge
- Thorough-lesson plan is complete with stated objectives and evaluation of results
- Challenging-the students are pushed to expand their knowledge and pets are an integral part of the classroom curriculum
To responsibly enjoy a pet in your classroom follow these three steps:
- Always provide hand sanitizer or instruct those who handle the pet, or anything inside the pets habitat to wash their hands immediately after contact.
- Pets can never be placed in extreme temperatures, habitats or environments where the pet will struggle to breathe, eat, sleep, urinate or defecate.
- Pets must always have access to shelter, food, water and appropriate temperatures in your classrooms.