- By pitc
- 0 Comments
If you have been considering getting a classroom pet but have yet to purchase one, you may be wondering if the extra responsibility and work is worth it. But the rewards you and your students receive in return can be incredible. Not only has research shown the benefits of pets in the lives of children, but we have also received so much great feedback from teachers on the impact their classroom pet has had on all of their students. Here are some of the many benefits of having a pet in your classroom:
- Having to take care of a pet builds a sense of responsibility in children
- Children can develop empathy by caring for a pet, including an increased awareness of the needs and feelings of others
- A classroom pet creates enthusiasm in most students – enthusiasm to pitch in and help, enthusiasm be a team player, and enthusiasm for learning when the pets are involved in the lessons
- A classroom pet allows for creative additions to the lesson plans of your curriculum in various subjects – science, math, art, geography and language arts projects can all be developed around your classroom pet
- With all of the technological advancements, children are spending more time with electronic devices than ever before. A classroom pet provides a crucial bond to the natural world that enhances your students’ health and well-being
- Children learn a respect for living creatures and their needs that will serve them as pet owners later in life
- Other teachers and students may enjoy visiting and learning about your pet too. You might be surprised at how popular your classroom becomes!
These are just a few of the benefits that come from having classroom pets. If you decide to make the commitment of having a classroom pet, be sure to apply for our grant so we can help you with the process!